This post is also available in:
Why enter the competition
- In these challenging times when in person wine trade fairs are scarce, a gold or silver medal is a reliable way for an importer to discover great new sparkling wines for their markets
- A gold or silver medal and being included in the top 50 is therefore a significant commercial advantage for the wine producer when it comes to increasing export and consumer sales and improving brand awareness.
- With a medal on the bottle, wine importers and therefore their customers will be motivated to take the decision to try and buy!
- The competion is judged by wine buyers & sommeliers so wine importers, distributors and the on and off trade can rely on the scores and commercial judgement.
- Each wine entered is judged according to method of production and receives a score . Gold and silver medal winners receive a diploma (printed and in pdf format) which they can use for marketing on a global stage. Awards and scores are presented according to method of production.
- Medal winners benefit from extensive promotion to some 57,000 wine importers around the world. Wine and wineries are furthger promoted to wine importers at our online and in person B2B Workshop buying events.
Sparkling wines are judged first and foremost according to their method of production. Flights are organised according to colour, ageing and dosage to ensure that judges do not jump between contrasting Sparkling wine categories. Judges taste individually and then compare notes to reach a final score.
Organisation & procedure
- Producers register their sparkling wines providing complete technical information. Samples are received and are logged and coded according to method of production.
- Sparkling wines are then grouped according to ageing on the lees and dosage.
- All sparkling wines are tasted blind but judges are aware of method of production, ageing and dosage. After each flight judges compare notes and reach a consensus on the wine’s medal and the score out of 100. Only Gold or Silver medals are awarded.
- The results are published in November 2021 on the winepleasures.com website are will be the 50 Great Sparkling WInes of the World for 2022. As well as receiving a printed diploma and pdf format for promotion purposes, producers can also acquire stickers for medal winning wines for consumers to recognise in store.
Dates & deadlines 2021
3 September: Registration for the competiton 2022 closes
15 September: Sample delivery deadline (Southern hemisphere producers may ask for an extension)
20 -22 September: Competition judging
15 November: 50 Great Sparkling Wines 2022 results announced
29 November: Awards and results published at www.winepleasures.com
30 November: Press release sent to trade publications
6 December: Awards in pdf format sent to producers
14 December: Printed Diploma awards sent to producers
10 January 2022 Newsletter announcing 50 Great Sparkling Wines of the World 2022 sent to more than 57,000 wine importers around the world
Registration is just €95 per wine (+21% if applicable) Discounts of 5% and 10% for the registration of 3 or more than 5 sparkling wines respectively.